The Practice began shortly after the war when Dr Mannie Ratner bought 14 Liverpool Gardens in
1945. He was ably assisted, in the early days, by Miss Greenfield (“Greenie”) who knew every
patient by their Christian name. She was the key to the success of the Practice. Dr Ratner was a
brilliant diagnostician and a very shrewd businessman.
In 1955 he was joined by Dr Paul Martin, a fellow Glasgow graduate. The Scottish connection was
further cemented when Dr Nim Campbell was appointed in 1962. He had played rugby for Scotland.
As the Practice expanded, two further doctors with a Scottish link - Dr Peter Greig and Dr James
Anderson, were recruited. Five doctors were now working from three consulting rooms, one small
office and a tiny waiting room. They also had a branch surgery in Durrington Health Centre.
Tel: 01903 234844 Prescription Requests: 01903 282803
Fax: 01903 231734
23 Shelley Road, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 4BS (map)
We value your feedback about what we are doing well and what
we could do better. Please tell any member of the team, send us
reflect on all comments.
Dr Ratner was replaced by Dr Richard Orpin in
1983, and two years later, Dr Brian Young was
appointed. In 1986, the Practice relocated to
larger premises in Shelley Road and became known
as the Shelley Road Surgery. The Practice now
boasted a consulting room for each partner, a
treatment room and a spacious waiting room. Dr
Bruce Allan was the next to be appointed, bringing
with him a wealth of knowledge in computers and
their application to general practice.
The male dominated partnership was changed for
evermore with the introduction of Dr Claire
Anderson and Dr Lynne Sullivan. Dr Twitchen, who
was dual qualified as a Dentist and a Doctor, had
joined shortly after Dr Claire Anderson.
In the late nineties, the Practice took the decision
to withdraw from the Durrington Health Centre on
the basis that working from two sites was
inefficient. However, when the opportunity arose
to acquire the practice in Rowlands Road, along
with Dr Sherief Kamar in October 2006, it was
deemed prudent to go ahead and merge the two
practices. The combined Practices had a patient
list size of 14,500.
In August 2011, the premises in Rowlands Road
were vacated and both Practices accommodated
in the Shelley Road building. The organisation, now
known as Worthing Medical Group, required first
class management, which was ably provided by
Mrs Sue Parton (the business partner) and her
2011 saw the retirement of Dr Young and Dr
Twitchen and the appointment of Dr Neil Iosson
and Dr Hema Santosh to the team.